Thursday, September 14, 2006

Everlasting life


In this article I would like to discuss one of my pet peeves,


and that would be Everlasting Life.

Not the I have anything against eternal life, quite the opposite. My problem lies in the common understanding of eternal life. Specifically when does one obtain everlasting life.

Jesus in his interaction with the rich young man (Matt 19:16-26 and Mark 10:17-23) instructs him on how to obtain eternity by living a righteous and obedient life. The young man is on board with what Jesus tells him until he is instructed to give away all his wealth. The young man goes away in great distress at this pronouncement.

The message here is not that it is wrong to be wealthy as wealth is a gift from God. It is not wrong to be rich, it is wrong to misuse the gift of wealth or worse to idolize money. Money is NOT the root of all evil. The LOVE of money is the root of all kinds of evil. (1 Tim 6:6-10)

Now keep in mind, money can be anything. Anything we put above our relationship with God is an idol. In the story of the rich young ruler it was money that he worshipped and was unwilling to give up. It could be job, possessions, or even family and friends.

Money however is not what this article is about. Eternal life, more specifically when it begins and why this matters.

Let's say you are a Christian. You have given your life over to Jesus Christ. The issue I take is one of when does eternal life begin. How often have we heard something along the lines of "when I die"... with the gist of it being then I will have eternal life.

Eternal life begins the moment you except Christ as your Lord and Savior!



"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. John 5:24 (NIV)



Note the present tense of this sentence. The word "has" indicates a current reality! You have Everlasting Life! Now and Forever!



My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one." John 10:27-30 (ESV)



So what does it matter when eternity begins?

Think back to the rich young man, he wanted eternal life. He could have had eternal life instantaneously. How different this young man's eternal destiny had he just followed the advice of the one who created him.

If we realize that Eternal Life is a present reality, might we may better use our talents to further His Kingdom? Might we better adhere to the directives of our Lord Jesus Christ.

To look after widows and orphans, to care for the hungry, the thirsty, the needy, the sick and those in prison.

And most importantly of all:



And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." Matt 28:18-20 (ESV)



How different Christendom if we would only learn from His Lessons. if we could only understand the precious gift we have been given.

Quoting Randy Alcorn "you can't take it with you, but you can send it on ahead"





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home